Reducing waste by finding another use for the item or material you have is even better than recycling! Here are some suggestions on how you can reduce the amount of waste that is produced.
The valuable mulch produced by composting can be used to help control erosion, stimulate healthy root development, increase water retention in sandy soils, reduce soil diseases and much more.
Leaving grass clippings on your lawn returns much-needed moisture and nutrients to the soil. Cut properly, clippings are virtually unnoticeable and do not create thatch.
Studies show that grass recycling can reduce fertilizer requirements by as much as 30%. It helps the soil retain valuable moisture, and helps to choke out weeds by denying light and air to them and improving your lawn’s weed resistance.
Tips for successful grass recycling:
- Set your mower height to 2.5"
- Keep your mower blade(s) sharp
- Take care to cut no more than one-third of the grass blade height at a time
- Mow frequently to produce small clippings which will decompose faster
- Mow when the lawn is dry to prevent clumping
Garage Sale Tips
- Avoid holiday weekends
- Include others - a "street sale” attracts more people and reduces everyone’s cost of advertising
- Advertise your event online and in local papers
- Post easy-to-read signs around your neighbourhood (be sure to collect them promptly when your event is over!)
- Be ready by 7 a.m. on the day of the sale - there will be early birds!
- Put a price label on everything
- Have plenty of change on hand
- Offer unsold items for free at the end of your sale, and take any remaining items straight to your local charity
Here are some popular websites that encourage users to buy, sell or swap reusable goods:
BookMooch is an online exchange community where users can give away and get books via points.
How It Works: Users receive a point for every book they give away, which they can use to get any book listed on BookMooch. Users have the option of keeping the new books in their collection or re-listing it to give to another user when they are done with it.
Listia is an auction site for users to give and get items for free. Instead of buying and selling with money, Listia users use credits that can be earned by signing up, listing your items to give away, or inviting new users.
How It Works: New users get 1,000 credits upon signing up to begin bidding on items listed on the site. To rack up more credits to bid on other goods, post your reusable items for other users to bid on.
Swap.com is the largest online consignment store for baby and kids’ items (i.e. clothing, books, toys, décor, movies, games or sporting equipment).
How It Works: New users can pack up their kids’ items and send them to the Swap.com offices. Swap.com then photographs, stores and lists the items on the website at the sales price set by the user. Users may then swap their goods for other items or sell them.