Recycling Programs

Blue Bag(s) Recycling
Curbside Blue Bag(s) Recycling is available for all households with curbside garbage collection.
Household Hazardous Waste
Dispose of unwanted items hazardous waste items and other materials requiring special handling.
Electronic Recycling
Not for profit organization with a mission to reduce electronic waste
Recycle My Cell
Recycle My Cell (RMC) is Canada’s national recycling program for mobile devices.


Blue Bag Recycling

Curbside Blue Bag(s) Recycling is available for all households that pay for curbside garbage collection service. Blue Bag(s) Recycling is collected every week. Simply put your acceptable recyclables in clear Blue Bags, and place them at your curbside on the day of your scheduled collection. Please ensure that Blue Bags are out at the curb before 7 a.m. Recycling MUST be bagged.

Acceptable Items

Unacceptable Items

  •  Aerosol cans
  • Aluminum containers / aluminum foil / aluminum pie plates
  • Bubble wrap / Plastic film
  • Ceramics
  • Clothes
  • Coloured glass
  • Diapers
  • Hazardous waste (e.g. - batteries, paint, fertilizer, oils)
  • Electronics
  • Food scraps
  • Non-deposit jars
  • Plastic bags
  • Plastic toys
  • Scrap metal, wood and other building materials
  • Small appliances
  • Soiled paper (used tissue/paper towel, dirty pizza boxes)
  • Styrofoam - Un-rinsed food containers
  • Tin foil
  • Yard waste
  • Glass

Household Hazardous Waste

What is Household Hazardous Waste?
Household hazardous wastes include products that are:  Examples
Corrosive - can eat away at surfaces, even skin Batteries, drain cleaners and oven cleaners
Flammable - burns or ignites easily Paints, oils and BBQ starters
Explosive - can explode when mixed with other chemicals or react under pressure or heat Aerosols and propane tanks
Toxic/Poison - can be poisonous or lethal to living organisms, even in small quantities Bleach cleaning fluids and pesticides
For a list of common household hazardous wastes you may not even realize are hazardous, visit the Alberta Environment website (Note: the Town's Household Hazardous Waste Round-up only accepts certain materials).
Proper Disposal of Household Hazardous Waste
Town of Westlock residents can take household hazardous wastes to the Westlock Regional Landfill, which is located on Range Road 262 south of Highway #18 east of Westlock, for information, call 780.307-2456.
Hazardous Waste Round-up
Every year, the Westlock Regional Waste Commission Service hosts a Household Hazardous Waste Round-up. This event provides an opportunity for residents to discard unwanted items hazardous waste items, and other materials requiring special handling, and divert them from landfill sites at no charge.

These include:

Acceptable E-waste materials include:

Residents are asked to use non-returnable containers only. Commercial, institutional, agricultural or industrial waste is not permitted.
This year's Household Hazardous Waste Round-up takes place on 9am-1pm at the Westlock Regional Landfill. For information, contact the Town Office at 780.349.4444, or send an email.


Electronic Recycling Association

What does the Electronic Recycling Association do? They are a not for profit organization with a mission to reduce electronic waste and the negative impact it has on the environment by reusing and recycling unwanted computers, laptops and other electronic equipment. They tend to prevent unwanted electronics from ending up in landfills or being prematurely disposed of and recycled when there is somebody that can still use them, maximize the life span of computers by refurbishing and donating them to local charities and other not for profit organizations at no cost, and, if the equipment is not suitable for donation, recycle it in an environmentally friendly way.

For additional Information, check out their website at

Electronic recycling is also available at the Westlock Regional Landfill.

Recycle My Cell

Recycle My Cell (RMC) is Canada’s national recycling program for mobile devices.  It is a free, convenient and easy way to recycle old and unwanted cell phones, smartphones and accessories (rechargeable cell phone batteries, chargers, etc.) The program is organized by the Canadian Wireless Telecommunication Association (CWTA) and partners with wireless carries, handset manufacturers, processors and other interested parties.

Recycle My Cell currently has over 400 locations within Alberta.  Each location accepts used or unwanted wireless devices regardless of make, model or condition.  Residents are able to determine whether a physical drop-off location is accessible to them by entering their postal code at  The website also provides the most up-to-date information as new drop-off locations become available.  In the event residents are not able to go to a location, they also have the option to print a pre-paid mailing label and mail their device through Canada Post.

The website also includes steps on how to delete personal information from wireless devises, provides answers to frequently asked questions, and highlights the various programs operated by their partners.