• Home
  • Demolition

    If you plan to demolish or relocate a building or other structure within the Town of Westlock, you must have approved permits before you proceed to avoid potential consequences such as safety hazards and/or fines. This page will provide you with the information you need.

    Call us: 780-349-4444
    Email us: planning@westlock.ca
    In-Person: 10003-106 Street, Westlock, AB

    Do I need a Development Permit to demolish or move a building?

    It depends on the building or structure, and the situation.

    Development Permit not required if:

    • The building is 10.0m square meters (107.6 sq ft) or less in area.

    Development Permit required if:

    • The building is over 10.0m square meters (107.6 sq ft), or
    • You are planning to move a building to a different location, even on the same site.

    Do I need a Building Permit to demolish or move a building?

    A Building Permit is generally required whenever you are demolishing or relocating a building. This can include partial demolition as well as reducing a house to foundation and rebuilding. However, there are some exceptions.

    A Building Permit is not required if:

    • The building is 10.0m square meters (107.6 sq ft) or less in area

    Risks when a permit is not obtained

    If you, as a homeowner or contractor, do not have permits for work that has been started or completed, there could be consequences if you do not take action to correct the situation, such as:

    • Enforcement action issued by the Town or a Safety Codes Officer.
    • A fine for doing demolition or move without permits.
    • Future legal and financial issues when selling your property or making an insurance claim.
    • Having to do more work than was originally planned and budgeted, to fix deficiencies.
    • Potential liability to you, the homeowner, in the event of an accident.

    NOTE: As a property owner, you are responsible for paying any penalties, even if you hired a contractor who assured you that permits were not required.

    (See What permits do I need, above). You can then download checklists and forms (below) and complete them.

    NOTE: Development and Building Permits must be applied for and approved prior to safety codes permit applications.  We recommend applying for Development and Building Permits concurrently.

    Development Permits & Checklists

    Development Permit Application Form

    Building Permits & Checklists

    Building Permit Application Form

    2 - Have drawings ready:

    • Site Plan – denote which building on site is to be demolished

    3 – Apply with all the required documentation. 

    Application methods:

    In-Person or by Mail to:

    Planning & Development Services
    Town of Westlock
    10003 -106 Street
    Westlock, AB  T7P 2K3

    Email to: planning@westlock.ca 

    Payment methods:
    After your application is received and processed, you will be notified by email or phone of the application fee(s). See our Fee Schedule for our current permit fees.


    • Credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
    • E-transfer to finance@westlock.ca (please include "Permit" in the Notes field)


    • Debit
    • Cash
    • Cheque
    • Credit Card (Visa or MasterCard or Amex)

    Mail payment:

    • Cheque

    What if I am not the property owner?

    If you are not the owner of the property, then you must get the owner's consent to apply for any permits.  The Town accepts the following forms of owner authorization:

    • Signature on Development Permit application
    • Letter of consent from Property Owner

    How long will it take to obtain my permits?

    Timelines vary based on the type of application as well as our current application volumes.  Give yourself as much time as possible to complete the permit process prior to your preferred construction start date in case of any complications or revisions required.   

    These instructions are provided as a guide for your demolition/relocation project. For specific questions regarding the various utilities' procedures and applicable fees, please contact that particular utility provider.

    1. Apply for permits with Planning & Development Services. You must have the required permit(s) approved before you proceed. See How to apply above.
    2. Utility disconnection:  You must determine which utilities will be disconnected. Contact each provider separately and obtain disconnect verification, including the date of disconnection.
    3. Inspection:  On the date you provided, once the demolition is complete, a Safety Codes Officer will inspect the site. To arrange for this inspection, please contact Superior Safety Codes at 780-489-4777.

    Do not remove survey markers. Boundary markers are one-meter long metal pins inserted in the ground at the intersection of property lines. It is illegal to remove or tamper with these markers.