• Home
  • Hot tubs and swimming pools

    Before taking the plunge, there are many items to think about when you decide to add a pool or hot tub to your residential property. Before you buy, make sure the type & size you choose is suitable for your property. The Town can help you with getting the right permits for your hot tub or swimming pool to ensure it is installed safely and meets the Land Use Bylaw.  

    Browse the dropdowns below or download the brochure below for more information.

    Download the Hot Tub and Swimming Pool Brochure

    Call us: 780-349-4444
    Email us: planning@westlock.ca
    In-Person: 10003-106 Street, Westlock, AB

    A Development Permit covers the what and where a development may proceed. It approves what type of development is allowed on a particular property, taking into account land use and setback issues of the Town’s Land Use Bylaw.

    A Building Permit covers how it is built. It allows the construction/demolition of structures contingent on meeting the requirements of the Alberta Building Code.

    Hot tubs and swimming pools with a water depth over 2 ft (600mm) do required permits.  The type will determine exactly which permits are required.

    Type of Pool or Hot Tub
    Permits required
    Above ground swimming poolBuilding permit and electrical permit
    In-ground swimming poolDevelopment permit, building permit and electrical permit
    Hot tubBuilding permit and electrical permit

    Wading or kiddie pools do not require permits.

    Risks when a permit is not obtained

    If you, as a homeowner or contractor, do not have permits for work that has been started or completed, there could be consequences if you do not take action to correct the situation, such as:

    • Potential liability to you, the homeowner, in the event of an accident.
    • Enforcement action issued by the Town or a Safety Codes Officer.
    • A fine for building without a permit.
    • Having to undo work that has been completed.
    • Future legal and financial issues when selling your property or making an insurance claim.
    • Having to do more work than was originally planned and budgeted, to fix deficiencies.

    NOTE: As a homeowner, you are responsible for paying any penalties, even if you hired a contractor who assured you that permits were not required. For more information, visit Tips for hiring a contractor.

    What about decorative ponds?

    Landscaping ponds are considered decorative elements and are not to be used as recreational pools. For guidelines, visit Landscaping.

    All pre-manufactured units must be CSA approved (or approved by other applicable authorities). 

    You will need either:

    • a fence that is 1.8 m (6.0 ft) tall that can't be climbed, OR
    • a lockable cover that can support an adult

     Placement of hot tubs and swimming pools must be a minimum distance from property lines, as shown in the diagram below

    Download or view the Pool Placement PDF.

     Please do not place your hot tub or pool over or on any easements or utility right-of-ways.

    Submit an application for each permit, along with other relevant documents, to Planning & Development Services (contact info below).

    1 - Determine which applications you need.
    (See What permits do I need, above). You can then download checklists and forms (below) and complete them.

    NOTE: Development and Building Permits must be applied for and approved prior to safety codes permit applications.  We recommend applying for Development and Building Permits concurrently.

    Development Permits & Checklists (if required)

    Residential Development Permit Application Package

    Building Permits & Checklists

    Building Permit Application Package

    Electrical Permit Application

    Electrical Permit Application

    2 - Have drawings ready:

    • Site Plan – dimensioned with distances to property lines and other buildings labelled

    3 – Apply with all the required documentation. 

    Application methods:

    In-Person or by Mail to:

    Planning & Development Services
    Town of Westlock
    10003-106 Street
    Westlock, AB  T7P 2K3

     Email to: planning@westlock.ca 

    Payment methods:
    After your application is received and processed, you will be notified by email or phone of the application fee(s). See our Fee Schedule for our current permit fees.


    • Credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
    • E-transfer to finance@westlock.ca (please include "Permit" in the Notes field)


    • Debit
    • Cash
    • Cheque
    • Credit Card (Visa or MasterCard or Amex)

    Mail payment:

    • Cheque

    What if I am not the property owner?

    If you are not the owner of the property, then you must get the owner's consent to apply for any permits.  The Town accepts the following forms of owner authorization:

    • Signature on Development Permit application
    • Letter of consent from Property Owner

    How long will it take to obtain my permits?

    Timelines vary based on the type of application as well as our current application volumes.  Give yourself as much time as possible to complete the permit process prior to your preferred construction start date in case of any complications or revisions required.