• Home
  • Westlock Municipal Enforcement Services

    The Town of Westlock places a high value on the safety and security of its residents and visitors. In this effort, the Town employs Community Peace Officers to handle a variety of situations and concerns that arise. Community Peace Officers are responsible for enforcing bylaws, investigating complaints, and patrolling the community. The Community Peace Officer are responsible for enforcing all Municipal Bylaws pursuant to the Municipal Government Act. In addition, the Community Peace Officers are provincially appointed through the Alberta Solicitor General to enforce select provincial statutes such as the Traffic Safety Act and all regulations and the Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Act.

    I got a bylaw ticket; what do I do now?

    If you wish to schedule a court date to contest this ticket, contact:

    • Driessen De Rudder Law Office
      5017 50 Ave., Barrhead, AB T7N 1A2
      Brant De Rudder 780-674-2276

    Bylaw complaints

    The best way to file a complaint or inform Westlock Municipal Enforcement Services about any issues is to fill out our online report. A Peace Officer will respond to an online complaint within 48 hours.

    Animal control

    Emergency situations in which any human could be harmed by an animal, such as:

    • an animal is wandering in traffic, or
    • a vicious animal is at large

    Immediately contact the Westlock Municipal Enforcement Services at 780-350-2107. Please note this call may be recorded for quality assurance.

    If you are unable to contact Westlock Municipal Enforcement Services, please contact the Westlock RCMP at 780-349-4492. An animal at large does not constitute an emergency. Any dog found after hours can be taken to the Westlock Veterinary Centre, 780-349-3663.

    Traffic Safety in Alberta

    Safe speeds can save lives

    Speeding facts

    • Between 2010 and 2014, 451 people in Alberta were killed and 11,753 were injured in collisions involving unsafe speed.
    • Motor vehicle collisions were the second leading cause (after falls) of head injury hospital admissions.
    • In the past 10 years, there was an average of 1,274 convictions each year for speeding more than 50 km/h over the speed limit.
    • Motorists must slow to 60 km/h, or less if the posted speed is lower when in an adjacent lane passing emergency vehicles or tow trucks stopped with their lights flashing. Fines for speeding in these circumstances double.
    • A vehicle travelling at 50 km/h takes 37 metres to stop, while one moving at 110 km/h needs 126 metres to stop, nearly three times the distance.

    Winter driving tips

    1. Get your vehicle ready for winter in the fall.
    2. Install four matching winter tires.
    3. Pack an emergency kit.
    4. Learn and practice winter driving techniques before you need them.
    5. Plan your trip, check road and weather conditions.
    6. Remove all snow from your vehicle before each trip.
    7. Give yourself extra travel time in bad weather.
    8. Avoid using cruise control on slippery roads.
    9. Travel with a fully charged cell phone.
    10. SLOW DOWN and WEAR your seatbelt. 

    Prevention is better than recovery. Winter driving can be risky, so be prepared!
    For more winter driving tips, please visit the Transport Canada Website at www.tc.gc.ca.

     Nearly one in four fatal collisions involves unsafe speeds.

    Driving even a few kilometres over the posted speed limit can reduce your ability to deal with circumstances you may not expect and lessens the effectiveness of seatbelts and other safety devices such as airbags and side-impact beams.

    Demerits for speeding range from two points (exceeding the posted limit by less than 15 km/h) to six points (exceeding the posted limit by more than 50 km/h). Fines for speeding also double when workers are present in construction zones. This includes workers on or near the road who are operating heavy equipment or doing other work in the construction zone.