Main content of the website

  • Home
  • Landscaping

    The information on this page is intended for homeowners landscaping their own properties within the Town. Business owners and land developers should refer to their individual development approvals for their landscaping requirements.

    Call us: 780-349-4444
    Email us:
    In-Person: 10003-106 Street, Westlock, AB

    Landscaping of a residential yard does not generally require a permit.

     Permits are required for:

    Decks, garages, sheds, fences, fire pits, retaining walls, swimming pools, hot tubs and sometimes other related outdoor residential projects. These projects do not fall under the definition of landscaping.

    At the time of application for development for new construction, a construction deposit is held. The deposit is returned at the request of the applicant or owner when all conditions of the development and building permits are met.

    Development permit applications for new construction should be accompanied by a site plan showing the relative grades of the subject property and adjacent properties. Grade differences between adjacent properties may not be excessive and in any case, maybe no more than 15.0 cm (5.9”) unless otherwise approved by the Development Authority. If there is a grading plan available for the subdivision, the applicant is expected to adhere to the finished design grades in order that stormwater flows will be in accordance with engineering design for the subdivision and adjacent properties will not be adversely affected.

    Upon completion of grading in newly developed areas, the applicant is asked to provide a grading certificate or a Real Property Report prepared by an Alberta Land Surveyor with grade detail identified in order that the Town can determine whether the grading and landscaping is in compliance with the design grade and/or the Land Use Bylaw.

    Stormwater (e.g. roof leaders) and sump pumps may not be connected to the Sanitary Sewer system nor may they be directed to discharge at the sidewalk, curb or onto a lane. Weeping tile discharge and roof leader discharge should be directed onto the front and/or back lawn, depending upon lot grading and direction of drainage, at a point where it is unlikely to impact sidewalk or road base. Halfway between the house and the property line is usually a good measure. Under no circumstances may stormwater drainage be directed onto neighbouring properties.

    All required landscaping must be completed within two growing seasons after occupancy of the development, including hard surfacing of driveways, tree planting and sod or grass seed.

    Despite the fact that permits are not generally necessary for residential landscaping projects, there are rules that must be followed for reasons of safety and neighbourhood standards. 

    Landscaping requirements

    The Land Use Bylaw requires that all portions of a lot not occupied by buildings or parking areas must be landscaped or maintained in their natural state.  Landscaping can consist of hard landscaping or soft landscaping or some combination of both.  A maximum of 10.0m (32.8ft) of the width of your front yard may be hard-surfaced.

    Residential driveways or parking areas connected to a paved roadway must be paved or otherwise hard-surfaced.

    For new homes, all landscaping must be completed within two years of occupancy of the home.

    Boulevard maintenance

    Boulevard land is owned by the Town, but it is the responsibility of adjacent property owners to maintain it. If there is a boulevard adjacent to your property, keep grass and shrubs trimmed, keep weeds to a minimum and keep it tidy.

    No existing trees located within a boulevard may be removed by a property owner to accommodate a new driveway or off-street parking. Also, clearance must be maintained in the boulevard for automobile doors and access to any fire hydrant must not be impeded by vegetation.

    Keep sightlines clear

    Setback from sidewalks: Landscaping must not block sightlines for pedestrians and motor vehicles.

    Do not remove survey markers

    Boundary markers are one-meter long metal pins inserted in the ground at the intersection of property lines. It is illegal to remove or tamper with these markers. 

    Do not encroach on adjacent properties

    Know where your property lines are. It is not allowed to encroach on adjacent property with any development or landscaping. This applies regardless of the ownership of the neighbouring property (private, City, government, etc).

    When planning your construction project, it is important to learn where and what underground and overhead utilities are located on your property. Locates are done free of charge but require a couple of days notice to obtain.

     Alberta One-Call  1-800-242-3447