Main content of the website

  • Home
  • New Home Construction

    This page is intended as a general guide to the regulations and required permits for the construction of a new home in the Town of Westlock.

    Call us: 780-349-4444
    Email us:
    In-Person: 10003-106 Street, Westlock, AB

    The scope of work being performed will dictate what permits are required.

    Development Permit:

    A Development Permit (DP) is required for any new home built within the Town of Westlock, the placement of a manufactured home, the demolition of any building, as well as most other forms of development. It must be approved before a Building Permit can be approved.

    Building Permit:

    A Building Permit (BP) is always required before any new home construction. The BP plans are compared to the approved DP plans, during the BP review period. It is the builder’s responsibility to ensure the BP drawings match the DP drawings.  The Building permit can be applied for concurrently with the Development Permit.

    If a detached garage is also being built, it must be applied for with a separate BP application. For more info, visit Detached Garages and Sheds.

    Safety Codes permits:

    Safety Codes permits are required for each applicable sub-trade (plumbing, gas, and electrical) in the construction of a new home. Each type of work will be inspected individually.  Typically these permits are applied for by each individual sub-contractor.

    Development agreement:

    If expanded or new water and sewer connections are required, the builder will need to enter into a Development Agreement with the Town of Westlock.  

    Demolition permit:

    If there is an existing house on the property to be demolished or removed, a permit for demolition must be applied for before a new house Building Permit application can be approved. For more info, visit our Demolition page.

    A Development Permit covers the what and where a development may proceed. It approves what type of development is allowed on a particular property, taking into account land use and setback issues of the Town’s Land Use Bylaw.

    A Building Permit covers how it is built. It allows the construction/demolition of structures contingent on meeting the requirements of the Alberta Building Code.

    Submit an application for each permit, along with other relevant documents, to Planning & Development Services (contact info below).

    1 - Determine which applications you need.
    (See What permits do I need, above). You can then download checklists and forms (below) and complete them.

    NOTE: Development and Building Permits must be applied for and approved prior to safety codes permit applications.  We recommend applying for Development and Building Permits concurrently.

    Development Permits & Checklists

    Residential Development Permit Application Package

    Building Permits & Checklists

    Building Permit Application Package

    Manufactured Home Application Package

    Safety Codes Permits and other approvals

    Electrical Permit Application

    Gas Permit Application

    Plumbing Permit Application

    2 - Have drawings ready:

    • Surveyors Plot Plan – including drainage and servicing details
    • Building Plans – including floor plans, foundation plan, cross-section, elevations
    • Floor joist and roof truss
    • Engineering drawings (if applicable)
    • Alberta Home Warranty certificate
    • Alberta Builder Licensing certificate

    3 – Apply with all the required documentation. 

    Application methods:

    In-Person or by Mail to:

    Planning & Development Services
    Town of Westlock
    10003-106 Street
    Westlock, AB  T7P 2K3

    Email to: 

    Payment methods:
    After your application is received and processed, you will be notified by email or phone of the application fee(s). See our Fee Schedule for our current permit fees.


    • Credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
    • E-transfer to (please include "Permit" in the Notes field)


    • Debit
    • Cash
    • Cheque
    • Credit Card (Visa or MasterCard or Amex)

    Mail payment:

    • Cheque

    What if I am not the property owner?

    If you are not the owner of the property, then you must get the owner's consent to apply for any permits.  The Town accepts the following forms of owner authorization:

    • Signature on Development Permit application
    • Letter of consent from Property Owner

    How long will it take to obtain my permits?

    Timelines vary based on the type of application as well as our current application volumes.  Give yourself as much time as possible to complete the permit process prior to your preferred construction start date in case of any complications or revisions required. 

    When planning your construction project, it is important to learn where and what underground and overhead utilities are located on your property. Locates are done free of charge but require a couple of days notice to obtain.

     Alberta One-Call 1-800-242-3447

    Inspections for all building and safety codes permits are performed by the Town’s Safety Codes contractor, Superior Safety Codes.

    Inspections can be booked by phoning Superior Safety Codes at 780-489-4777.

    When phoning please have your permit number handy.

    Inspections are booked by phases. All work for each phase must be complete before that phase’s inspections can be booked. Individual disciplines cannot book inspections separately and the previous phase must have passed all inspections before the next phase inspection can be requested. If one discipline did not pass inspection, the whole phase must be called for re-inspection; however, only the aspects that were not acceptable will be inspected again.

    For more detailed information about each individual inspection contact Superior Safety Codes at 780-489-4777.

    Further info:

    • The required inspections for your project are indicated on your permit(s).
    • Have the requested documentation on-site.
    • For rough-in inspections, ensure that the work being inspected is not covered (such as with insulation or drywall).
    • For final inspections, it is preferred that interior finishes are complete (drywall).
    • The final inspection verifies that the house is safe to occupy and meets all applicable building codes and bylaws. The house cannot be occupied prior to a successful final inspection.

    The Town of Westlock retains a $2,500.00 deposit for every new home construction project.  This deposit ensures the completion of the conditions of your development permit including landscaping and lot grading.  Upon successful completion of your development permit conditions (within 2 years of approval), the Town will return the deposit.