• Home
  • Additions and covered decks

    Additions and covered decks

    If you are planning a residential addition or covered deck, a Development and Building Permit will always be required. The information on this page will help guide you through the approvals needed for these types of projects.

    Call us: 780-349-4444
    Email us: planning@westlock.ca
    In-Person: 10003-106 Street, Westlock, AB

    A Development Permit covers the what and where a development may proceed. It approves what type of development is allowed on a particular property, taking into account land use and setback issues of the Town’s Land Use Bylaw.

    A Building Permit covers how it is built. It allows the construction/demolition of structures contingent on meeting the requirements of the Alberta Building Code.

    For application information, see section below: How to apply.

    When are Development and Building Permits required?

    Any addition or covered deck requires both Development and Building Permits.  Examples of projects that are considered additions include, but are not limited to:

    • Enclosing a patio, carport or breezeway
    • Adding a room onto an exterior wall
    • Adding an attached garage or carport
    • Adding a storey to any existing building
    • Enclosing a front porch

     What other permits/approvals are required?

    Other permits (below) may be required if the proposed project involves specific considerations:

    • Electrical Permit: Required for installing or modifying electrical systems, including moving lights or outlets.
    • Gas Permit: Required for installing, modifying or adding to any gas system.
    • Plumbing Permit: Required for installing or modifying plumbing systems or any plumbing equipment.

    Do it yourself

    As a homeowner, you are able to obtain homeowner's permits for plumbing, electrical, gas and mechanical work. To apply for any of these homeowner's permits:

    • You must be doing the work yourself
    • You must own and reside in the home
    • You must be capable of performing the work in accordance with the Safety Codes Act
    • It must be a single-family dwelling (not a condo building, etc.)

    Risks when a permit is not obtained

    If you, as a homeowner or contractor, do not have permits for work that has been started or completed, there could be consequences if you do not take action to correct the situation, such as:

    • Enforcement action issued by the Town or a Safety Codes Officer.
    • A fine for building without a permit.
    • Having to undo work that has been completed.
    • Future legal and financial issues when selling your property or making an insurance claim.
    • Having to do more work than was originally planned and budgeted, to fix deficiencies.
    • Potential liability to you, the homeowner, in the event of an accident.

    NOTE: As a homeowner, you are responsible for paying any penalties, even if you hired a contractor who assured you that permits were not required. For more info, visit Hiring a contractor.

    What if I am not the property owner?

    If you are not the owner of the property, then you must get the owner's consent to apply for any changes. See section below: How to apply.

    Size and location requirements

    The Town’s Land Use Bylaw lays out details such as:

    • The amount of area on a lot that buildings can cover (site coverage)
    • The required distances from property lines and other structures (setbacks)
    • How high a building can be in various land use districts (elevation)

    For specific information about your property and your planned addition or covered deck project, contact Planning and Development Services at 780-349-4444 or planning@westlock.ca.   

    Construction requirements

    The Alberta Building Code regulates the construction and safety of structures. Construction details of additions and enclosures are assessed and approved based on these provincial regulations.

    There are a wide variety of types of residential addition and enclosure projects. For specific construction requirements related to your planned project, contact Superior Safety Codes at 780-489-4777.

    Submit an application for each permit, along with other relevant documents, to Planning & Development Services (contact info below).

    1 - Determine which applications you need.
    (See What permits do I need, above). You can then download checklists and forms (below) and complete them.

    NOTE: Development and Building Permits must be applied for and approved prior to safety codes permit applications.  We recommend applying for Development and Building Permits concurrently.

    Development Permits, Building Permits & Checklists

    Residential Addition Application Package

    Safety Codes Permits

    Electrical Permit Application

    Gas Permit Application

    Plumbing Permit Application

    2 - Have drawings ready:

    • Site Plan – dimensioned with distances to property lines and other buildings labelled
    • Floor Plan – show dimensions/uses of rooms inside addition, locations of windows & doors
    • Drawings – Elevation drawings with overall height labelled
    • Floor joist and roof truss, Engineered Foundation drawings (if applicable)

    3 – Apply with all the required documentation. 

    Application methods:

    In-Person or by Mail to:

    Planning & Development Services
    Town of Westlock
    10003-106 Street
    Westlock, AB  T7P 2K3

     Email to: planning@westlock.ca 

    Payment methods:
    After your application is received and processed, you will be notified by email or phone of the application fee(s). See our Fee Schedule for our current permit fees.


    • Credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
    • E-transfer to finance@westlock.ca (please include "Permit" in the Notes field)


    • Debit
    • Cash
    • Cheque
    • Credit Card (Visa or MasterCard or Amex)

    Mail payment:

    • Cheque

    What if I am not the property owner?

    If you are not the owner of the property, then you must get the owner's consent to apply for any permits.  The Town accepts the following forms of owner authorization:

    • Signature on Development Permit application
    • Letter of consent from Property Owner

    How long will it take to obtain my permits?

    Timelines vary based on the type of application as well as our current application volumes.  Give yourself as much time as possible to complete the permit process prior to your preferred construction start date in case of any complications or revisions required.   

    Inspections for all building and safety codes permits are performed by the Town’s Safety Codes contractor, Superior Safety Codes.

    Inspections can be booked by phoning Superior Safety Codes at 780-489-4777.

    When phoning please have your permit number handy.

    Below are sample drawings for Development Permits and Building Permits for an addition or covered deck.

    Download or view the Sample Deck Site Plan PDF.

    Download or view the Sample Addition Elevation PDF.

    When planning your construction project, it is important to learn where and what underground and overhead utilities are located on your property. Locates are done free of charge but require a couple of days notice to obtain.

      Alberta One-Call  1-800-242-3447