• Home
  • Fireplaces and wood stoves

    Adding a fireplace is a common project for homeowners.  It is important to obtain permits to ensure safety and to avoid having to re-do work to fix deficiencies and prevent problems selling your home in the future.  This page will provide you with information on installing a new interior fireplace or wood stove into an existing room in your home.

     For outdoor fire pits see our Fire Pit Permit application.

    Call us: 780-349-4444
    Email us: planning@westlock.ca
    In-Person: 10003-106 Street, Westlock, AB

    The type of fireplace being installed will determine what permits you require. For application forms, see below: How to apply.

    Type of Fireplace
    Permits Required
    Wood/solid fuel burning fireplaces and stovesBuilding permit
    Gas burning fireplaceGas permit and electrical permit (for switch connection)
    Electric fireplaceElectrical permit if hardwired

    Do it yourself

    As a homeowner, you are able to obtain homeowner's permits for plumbing, electrical, gas and mechanical work. To apply for any of these homeowner's permits:

    • You must be doing the work yourself
    • You must own and reside in the home
    • You must be capable of performing the work in accordance with the Safety Codes Act
    • It must be a single-family dwelling (not a condo building, etc.)

    Risks when a permit is not obtained

    If you, as a homeowner or contractor, do not have permits for work that has been started or completed, there could be consequences if you do not take action to correct the situation, such as:

    • Enforcement action issued by the Town or a Safety Codes Officer.
    • A fine for building without a permit.
    • Having to undo work that has been completed.
    • Future legal and financial issues when selling your property or making an insurance claim.
    • Having to do more work than was originally planned and budgeted, to fix deficiencies.
    • Potential liability to you, the homeowner, in the event of an accident.

    NOTE:  As a homeowner, you are responsible for paying any penalties, even if you hired a contractor who assured you that permits were not required. For more information, visit Tips for hiring a contractor.

    Submit an application for each permit, along with other relevant documents, to Planning & Development Services (contact info below).

    1 - Determine which applications you need.
    (See What permits do I need, above). You can then download checklists and forms (below) and complete them.

    NOTE:  Building Permits must be applied for and approved prior to safety codes permit applications.  

    Building Permits & Checklists

    Fireplace and Wood Stove Application Package

    Safety Codes Permits

    Electrical Permit Application

    Gas Permit Application

    2 - Have drawings ready:

    • Floor Plan – show location of proposed fireplace or stove
    • Chimney and ventilation details (if applicable)
    • Manufacturer Installation instructions
    • Manufacturer certification (ULC, Warnock Hersey or CSA) details

    3 – Apply with all the required documentation. 

    Application methods:

    In-Person or by Mail to:

    Planning & Development Services
    Town of Westlock
    10003 106 Street
    Westlock, AB  T7P 2K3

     Email to: planning@westlock.ca 

    Payment methods:
    After your application is received and processed, you will be notified by email or phone of the application fee(s). See our Fee Schedule for our current permit fees.

    Online :

    • Credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
    • E-transfer to finance@westlock.ca (please include "Permit" in the Notes field)


    • Debit
    • Cash
    • Cheque
    • Credit Card (Visa or MasterCard or Amex)

    Mail payment:

    • Cheque

    What if I am not the property owner?

    If you are not the owner of the property, then you must get the owner's consent to apply for any permits.  The Town accepts the following forms of owner authorization:

    • Signature on Building Permit application
    • Letter of consent from Property Owner

    How long will it take to obtain my permits?

    Timelines vary based on the type of application as well as our current application volumes.  Give yourself as much time as possible to complete the permit process prior to your preferred construction start date in case of any complications or revisions required.   

    Inspections for all building and safety codes permits are performed by the Town’s Safety Codes contractor, Superior Safety Codes.

    Inspections can be booked by phoning Superior Safety Codes at 780-489-4777.

    When phoning please have your permit number handy.